This effect was discovered by me accidentally, in the study of charged inductors. As it turned out, under certain conditions, charge and set of design materials, the coil can be a condenser and electret properties at the same time. First I will describe the effect found in its original form, then its variations.
On a plastic pipe with a diameter of 40 mm was wound one layer of the enameled wire 0.4 mm, length of winding — from the Top 30 cm of this layer is very tightly wound construction foil tape "Izospan FL Termo", a width of 50 mm. the Winding was made slanting so that didn't leave gaps between the turns. The tape should be razvernut foil up. Then wound the third coil of Tolstoy wire, but as it turned out, she was only needed in order to further seal the first and second layer, so to dwell on it, and then will not mention. Just remember that the more closely wound around the first and second layers, the better the manifestation of the effect, and such a structure we will call an electret coil-capacitor (EKC).
The diagram will depict the first layer, as a normal inductor — 1, and the second, as the plate — 2. The first stage is charging. You need to take any high voltage AC power source voltage (in the diagram HV1) and through the diode and the key SW1 to charge the ECC. The second stage is the obtaining of energy all the way from EKC. Here begins the effect of: coil, charged so once, may be discharged to the load multiple times; using time intervals of 1-2 minutes the ECC is again charged, each time a little less stress. Closing the short circuit switch SW2 coil is discharged by the battery led (preferably high). At this voltage the number of LEDs in the load can be almost anything.
In the above-described construction, once the ECC has been charged to about 3 kV, and then, as described above, is periodically discharged to the led load during the day. Even after that, the ECC remained a small charge. The magnetic field sensor, located inside the coil, when level showed bursts, but that is not surprising.
If we assume that the energy spent on one-time charge of ECC is completely consumed on the first digit, the remaining digits are the increase in efficiency of the second kind.
Other options of design and materials
1. Aluminum foil-foil. Is the first coil I wound different variants of aluminum foil tapes, but it turned out that the design of the foil-foil, where both layers are of aluminium, have no effect. In this case, it is not manifested.
2. Foil-foil made of various metals. If is the first layer wound copper foil, and the second — the same aluminum, the effect appears, but very weakly.
3. A first layer of a thicker wire. As it turned out, if the first layer is wound with a thicker wire, the effect is weaker than with a coil of thinner wire.
4. Ferrite inside the coil does not cause significant changes effect.
5. The manifestation of the effect is markedly improved, if slightly change the charge circuit between the anode of diode VD1 and the common wire you need to include the condenser for a small capacity (3-10 DM), but instead SW1 — discharger. You need to ensure that it slipped through at least one spark.
6. The use of thin PCB as the dielectric (instead of paper) reduces the effect considerably.
The preliminary conclusions that were made by the author, lies in the fact that electret-condenser effect is best when different materials of the first and second layer of the winding, and when the inductance of the first layer of the coil the greatest.
Discharge coil is about the same as it was before with the degaussing of electronic tubes. Only in this case, by analogy, this process can be called "reselectricity". On the ECC short-term need to apply the alternating voltage from the same source HV1. Apparently this exposure, the electric dipoles of the dielectric is a chaotic situation and the charge disappears.
As a result of experiments it turned out that the ECC can be made from two wires: copper and aluminum. They need to be folded together and wound bifilar on any plastic pipe. In the figure marked with such coiling: a single wire — copper, the second is aluminum, the ends of the coil are not shorted. Since both wires have a varnish insulation, the maximum voltage from the HV you need to submit less (to avoid breakdown). The circuit is the same, but from the power source HV copper conductor served plus.
My colleague, Andrew Mepis, provided a photo and description (translation into Russian) experiments Lorrie Matchett, as well as their own research. Andrew believes that it is possible to try such variant, where instead of a phase to collect a low-power power source high frequency, maybe even grounded kacher on the ferrite with the ratio of windings 30/300 (second photo).